Monday, August 26, 2013

Pisa to Firenze (23 Aug)

Up early to make the most of my time in Pisa. Checked out, left my luggage in the luggage locker. Made my way to the train station. Not only is close to the hostel, it's also where Rick Steves' self-guided Pisa walk starts.



Went north to Piazza Vittorio Emanuelle II. On a wall just off the piazza there is a murel painted by Keith Haring in 1989. This was pretty cool to see since I've enjoyed this artist's work ever since I was introduced to it by Mr. Kruger, my grade 8 history teacher.



Something amusing I've noticed about Italy, is the condom vending machines you see everywhere. Considering you barely even find these in public toilets in South Africa it's very different. And they're not at all subtle!



Lots of statues around.



An interesting contrast is made by the very geometrical building, and the gently curving streets. Apparently this came about as the streets followed the riverbanks.



Crossed the river Arno on the Ponte di Mezzo. Lovely view of the mansions that line the river.



After crossing the bridge I detoured to the side onto Piazza della Vettovaglie which is Pisa's historic market square. I browsed the stalls, and picked up some tomatoes and peaches for lunch.

The next piazza was Piazza dei Cavalieri which has a beautifully decorated clock and palace, with lots of painted frescos. There's also a statue of Cosimo I de Medici who had conquered Pisa in the 16th century.



From there I made my way down the last stretch. Slowly the streets became busier and the souvenir shops start appearing. Badly crafted leaning towers in miniture. Leaning tower keyrings. Leaning tower pasta (and other landmarks).



And finally the Field of Miracles came into view.



The first thing that really made an impression on me. The leaning tower of Pisa...REALLY leans! It's even more mind-boggling if you remember that they've actually improved the lean in 1990.

The Duomo and Baptistery are also the white colour of the tower, making the three buildings very striking in the strong sunlight and set-off by the rich green lawn. I didn't want to see the insides badly enough to pay, so mainly strolled around. There was a decent chunk of old city wall to admire as well.

After making such an effort to be up early, I found myself finished embarrassing early at 10:30, and only expected on Florence at 16:00. So I grabbed a nap in a quiet corner of the complex. Lunched early, and set off on my way back to the hostel.
Took a slightly different route with the intention of seeing more of the old coty walls, and stumbled across the remains of an old Roman bath.

Having promised myself, I stopped on Piazza Garibaldi to have gelato at La Bottego del Gelato which is apparently Pisa's favourite gelato place.

Then back to the backpackers for my bag, caught the train to Firenze (what the Italians call Florence), and made my way to the accommodation.

I had booked through AirBnB with an Italian woman, Francesca. She invited me into her home very warmly, and made me feel very much at home. Having the big airy bedroom all to myself after the hostel dormitories was luxurious.

In fact, I managed to fall asleep and nap so long, that I had to splurge a bit and get some take away pizza for dinner! Not too bad at €8, and very yummy. And I got to watch the chef toss the dough!

3 comments:

  1. Wow......wou nou net Pappa se computer afskakel toe hierdie laaste stukkie nuus deurkom! Ja, die kunswerk is pragtig kleurvol, onthou nog hoe baie Mr Kruger daarvan gehou het. Klink te wonderlik.....Bly dat jy vd heerlike Italiaanse roomys geproe het, selfs in Duitsland glo hulle dis die beste in roomys!Ek is seker die pizza was net so heerlik! Kan nie wag om die blog saans te lees nie! Lovies....enjoy, enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anjatjie, ons geniet jou blog vreeslik. Die fotos is ook baie mooi. Baie dankie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anjatjie, ons geniet jou blog vreeslik. Die fotos is ook baie mooi. Baie dankie!

    ReplyDelete