Thursday, August 29, 2013

Firenze, Day 4 (27 Aug)

James took the day off from the conference, and we set out to be tourists. I fear I was grumpy and snappish when we started - the ache in my little toe is starting to wear on me - but the muscles warmed up and my mood improved.

We walked past the Accademia gallery, the home of Michelangelo's David. The building was nothing special on the outside and the queues were insane.



Further down the street was the Medici-Riccardi palace, the bastion of the Medici family. It really comes across as a fortified town house, with its thick walls, and heavy gates.

Even further along is the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, or the Dome as it seems to be known. Very impressive building! Enormous, and beautifully decorated. It's a pity that one can't actually stand far away enough from the building to get a good picture. Apparently they built the cathedral, leaving a hole for the dome, before they actually had the technology or knowledge to build the dome!





We managed to stray heavily off our route at this point, enjoying some of the really old buildings of the city, the narrow alleyways, and the lack of crowds. Think James and I still have a preference for the medieval architecture, rather than the late Renaissance stuff.

We got back on track just in time to see the Ponte Vecchio, the covered bridge over the Arno, which is lined by shops on either side of the walkway.

Then we moved East to the Piazza della Signoria, with its beautiful sculptures, and very tall tower. Passed the Uffizi on our way, a striking building, with, yes, its own throng of tourists.

Moving down the via de Neri, we managed to locate the gelato shop our host auggested. A tiny little place, with easily 50 different flavours! Italy definitely has the best ice-cream I've ever tasted. I might have to have a go at making my own when I get back!

We decide to head even further East to the market that is popular amongst the locals, at Piazza Lorenzo Ghiberti. Visually good fun, with the fresh vegetable and fruit stalls on the outside and the rest inside. Cheese, meats, rabbit, and the most impressive selection of seafood I've ever seen.

From there, it was a long walk back to base. I had to be there to sort things. Francesca had to go away for a few days, and she offered me a day's free accommodation in return for preparing a room for guests, and keeping a general eye on things until her parents arrived to take over.

Her parents arrived a bit after, they don't speak English and I don't speak Italian so it's interesting. Then the guests arrived and I did my bit, welcoming them and showing them the ropes.

James and I did takeaway pizza for dinner. I ended up having a long conversation with Francesca's mom over the large Italian/English dictionary. Then James and I went to a heavy rock bar he had tracked down.

Nice cozy place, busy, decorated as an Irish pub, complete with Guiness, Harp, and Kilkenny beer, and everybody spoke Italian. The manager seemed to like us and he sorted us with wi-fi, and gave us free shooters twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment