Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Firenze, Day 1 (24 Aug)

Calm day on the whole, or merely lazy depending on your view point. Definitely finding that when doing a 5 week holiday one occasionally requires a holiday from one's holiday.

Francesca and I had managed to stay up far too late the night before. She asked my opinion on which hair colour to apply first, and before we knew it, I was helping out. This is all between drinking lots of tea.

I oriented myself somewhat by wandering around the neighbourhood. Found the St. Lorenzo market with its variety of leather goods. You walk down the narrow streets with all its stalls and you just get that warm smell of leather, with the slightly chemical tang of the dye. In and amongst the leather, there are masks, and Assassin's Creed t-shirts.



Just off the street into a side building is the indoor market. Fresh veggie stalls with 5 different types of tomato. Cheese counters with the pale yellow hard cheeses, and the white balls of mozzarella in their bowls of whey. Enormous cured hams, salami, and other strongly flavoured meats hanging from the roof.



Went and fetched James at the fortress, about 18:00. Good to have him around again! But while introducing him to the other guests I managed to snag my little toe on a piece of furniture. Appear to have strained it badly, and it's sore!

So later the evening, James walked, and I hobbled down to a craft beer pub on the other side of the Arno river. Really liked their Archea Pils, and Hydra.



No comments:

Post a Comment