Thursday, August 22, 2013

London Continued, Day 7 (20 Aug)

Sasha and I got away fairly early. We hopped off the bus just before the Horse Guard so I had a chance to see some of the big attractions up close. You wouldn't believe the queue of people at the abby!







We took a circular route up past St. James' park, enjoying the squirrels, swans and even a little moor hen, that posed for us quite tamely. Sasha has decided the old duck-keeper's cottage is her new home:



We took a peek through the Horse Guard shop, but didn't do the museum because it had an £8 entry fee. It was great seeing the Guard in their spiffy shiny breast plates, and their patient horses. We were rather disgusted by the behaviour of the tourists though; putting their arms around the poor guys, and trying to pet the horses. Damn, just realised I didn't get you a picture of them!



We cut across St. James' park to get to Buckingham Palace.



I was quite happy to admire it from afar. The crowds were insane. I did at least get a glimpse of the Horse Guard as they passed us on their way back home.





Also got to admire these chaps just down the road from Buckingham, as we made our way to Trafalgar Square.



At St. Martin's I then completed Elizabeth Bellingham's husband, Roger. Sasha tackled an equally challenging project, and had a good laugh at my expense since I had to constantly stop and shake out my hand. But I think the pair of Bellinghams were well worth it. They're going to look stunning once framed and hanging on my wall at home!



It's actually quite funny how Sasha and I attracted attention from visitors, because we were not only doing large rubbings, they were also coming out rather well.



Went round to the British museum, my third time and Sasha's first. Helped here breeze through some pf the best stuff, and enjoyed seeing the ancient Greek art which I haven't seen yet.



We then meandered north, checked where Sasha had to be early the next morning for the start of her Contiki tour, then went looking for North Gowler street, since Sasha is a fan of the Sherlock Holmes series that's currently running. This is apparently the street they use for his house.

After that we went hunting for the British Library which was just up the road. They have a Treasures of the British Library exhibition which was amazing. I got to drool over an original copy of Beowulf, diaries by Jane Austen, and extremely beautifully illustrated manuscripts. It was an incredible treat, and I wish I was allowed to take photos to share with you.





After I had exercised severe restraint in the book shop, we headed over to a pub to have a very British meal.





Our next and last stop was Kings Cross station, where we went looking for platform 9 3/4. Here we found a ridiculously overpriced Harry Potter shop, and the opportunity to be photographed pushing a baggage trolley through a wall.







After that, it was a long bus ride back to the hostel.

1 comment:

  1. Sjoe, die Harry Potter Station ,changing of the guards,om nie eers vd National Library te praat nie........te lekker! Lyk darem na mooi weer! Ek en pappa is baie impressed met die brass rubbings jong!Bly jy kon met Sasha deel en nie te lank alleen nie. Jammer dat die rye so lank is by Westminister Abbey! Al nuuskierig om jou Pisa foto's te sien. Wat se James.....het hy sy vulkaanroete geniet?

    ReplyDelete