Friday, November 14, 2014

Belgium, day 1 - Departure (10 Nov)

Was up early on the morning of my departure to help one of James' honours students with grammar and writing. This was followed by a debriefing meeting on the work I've been busy with. Some of you might have heard about the inaugural address presentation for the Department of Tax I've been involved with the last 3 weeks, others might simply have wondered if I've dropped off the face of the earth! The project has been wonderful experience, and a challenging one.

Stopped by Hatfield Plaza on my way home to pick up a poncho, and also managed to score a new moon-bag to replace my old one (you know that one I usually sling around me like a purse). The new one's leather, so much more posh than the old. Since my fleece jackets were also looking rather worn, I was on the lookout for a replacement or two. To my delight the Pick 'n Pay clothing store had a 50% off winter leftovers sale. Managed to pick up a couple of new jackets.

Home to pack the stuff I had spread across the spare room bed, did the usual last minute ditch of clothing I don't really need. Despite the extra cold weather gear, my bag still came in below 10kg. No sword gear to lug around this trip, but James has threatened me with bring his sword gear home, and Lufthansa only allows 23kg unlike Emirates' 30kg.

My mom dropped me at the airport in good time. I wandered off to counter 100 (that’s the one at the faaaar end of the line) to check if they would prefer to have me wrap the hiking backpack since some airlines don’t like them. The gentleman on duty pretty much shrugged and said it was my choice. Toddled the 200 or so metres back to meet my parents-in-law (Richard and Maureen) who had come to hand over a package they want posted in Belgium, and hopefully to see their favourite daughter-in-law. After putting the package into my backpack, the backpack was wrapped and I did the 200 metres to the gate again to drop it off. Then 200 metres back again to catch-up with Richard and Maureen over some coffee. The waiter was most amusing. I ordered some tap water and he said, “One government juice”. Going to have to remember that one! Then off I went through the gate. Fortunately I could nip through anywhere and didn’t have to go all the way to desk 100 again!

Browsed the duty-free, but it was not noticeable cheaper than usual; more likely more expensive. They had 300g Cadbury chocolate bars at R99 each! The Cape Union Mart was fun though.  They had an incredible range of stock, that made the Brooklyn branch look like a poor cousin.

Made the gate in good time, to find I’ll be travelling on one of the huge double-decker airbuses! Still not sure how these monsters actually manage to fly. I know the science, but it still feels like magic.


Flight was comfortable enough. An early online booking ensured I had a window seat up against the bulkhead, so I got to crank my seat back for the whole trip without feeling guilty. In addition, the seat next to me was unoccupied! Lufthansa’s food was not as great as Emirates fare, and there’s less of it. I’m getting spoilt! However, the French red wine was a treat and the coffee was good.


It was unfortunately one of those flights where I think I’ve had a good doze, and then realise I’ve only dropped off for 30 min. I’ve gotten into the habit of catching up on movies while flying simply because I don’t really sleep on aeroplanes, but this time round I was simply too tired watch a movie or read. Oohh, before I forget, where most planes only have a camera mounted underneath, and forwards, the airbus had a third, tail mounted one!


No comments:

Post a Comment