Sunday, June 8, 2014

Goro game reserve, day 1 ( 6th June )

For those of you who didn't know, I've volunteered to play "field assistant" to my friend Sasha for a week. I get to lend a hand, not only while she traps, processes and releases elephant shrews, but also while she does a pilot test with tracking equipment.

Goro is situated in Limpopo, close to Vivo (which isn't a real town, as it doesn't have a Wimpy or Spur). It's beautiful here, and it's also one of those rare places that offers perfect silence. The terrain is rocky, mostly sandstone, and covered with probably some of the thickest growth I've seen in South Africa short of a costal forest.



The road to the lodge we're staying at is a bit of a climb, alternating between sand, loose rock, and potholes. Not an attempt for the weak of heart or any "normal" car. The lodge has a central social area, surrounded by grass thatched huts to sleep in. My room's walls are made of reed and it is fairly open to the elements as my visitor can testify!



Absolutely lovely except for the fact that, that cold front that has hit Gauteng has stretched its fingers up to here! And I packed light...

No comments:

Post a Comment